Strawberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam

June 15, 2013

After a long and damp winter, nothing excites me more than seeing spring produce sprout up at the farmer's market. Especially things that aren't usually around for very long, like rhubarb. Now, rhubarb pies and tarts are absolutely wonderful in their own right, but I really wanted to try something different this time around, so last week I made the rhubarb hamantaschen cookies from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook... and I fell completely in love with the rhubarb filling. So this week I went back to farmer's market to get more rhubarb, and some strawberries, to make my own version of the filling which I am calling refrigerator jam, since that's pretty much what it is.


Note: This recipe does not include any measurements, because I didn't use any. You can use as little or as much fruit as you'd like, and as long as you coat it completely with sugar it will turn out well! For reference though, I used three medium-sized rhubarb stalks, about a cup worth of strawberries, and approximately 3/4 cups of sugar. (I'm really guessing with the sugar... I just poured it right on in!)

Strawberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam


- rhubarb
- strawberries
- sugar

Trim the ends of the rhubarb and remove the stems of the strawberries, then chop both into half-inch sized chunks and place them in a saucepan large enough that they're not too crowded. Pour sugar over them, just enough to completely coat all the fruit. Cook for fifteen minutes over medium-low heat, covered with a lid; no need to stir. After fifteen minutes, take the lid off and cook for another fifteen to twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. To tell whether or not they're 'done', you're looking for a thick consistency that coats the back of a spoon; all of the fruit should be soft and integrated by this point as well. Pour the jam into a clean bowl to cool down completely. Once cool, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and eat at your leisure! The jam should keep for about three weeks, if you have more self control than I do.

The rhubarb was so fresh that I didn't even peel it; be a rebel, like me.


There's nothing better than farm fresh strawberries! Except maybe chocolate.


Let's get this party started!


Looks like this after fifteen minutes...


Just about done!


Done! But please be patient, no one likes a burned tongue.

Of course this jam is great on toast (what isn't?) but I've been using it to add a little sweetness to my plain ol' greek yogurt in the mornings. I am super tempted to try some on a big bowl of vanilla ice cream... or better yet, in a milkshake! Let me know what your favorite way to enjoy it is!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Our Favorite Recipes

Coming soon!

Would you like to contribute?

Are you a fellow food-enthusiast with a recipe that you just have to share? We'd love for you to contribute in the form of a guest post! If you're interested in collaborating with us, contact us with your idea and we'll work something out.

  © Blogger Template - Simple n' Sweet